Designed and created by a positive minded, Gluten-free, thyroid cancer survivor!

Saturday 28 January 2012

When Pigs Fly. . .



Sometimes in life we need a little inspiration to keep us going – to keep us moving forward toward our goals. It’s hard to keep focused sometimes and it’s really easy to lose track of what we really want out of life. All too often we lose sight of what is really important.

I feel at times that I’m losing track of what it is I really want to be doing with my life. The important things in life are still abundantly clear to me - my Mom, my partner and my health.

I find myself constantly looking around for clues and signs that I am on the right track – am I going where I need to go, am I meeting who I need to meet, am I being true to myself?

After my Dad passed away this past fall I find that I am looking for signs that might be coming from him. My Dad, no matter what, was always a source of reassurance when times got rough and it was not long after he passed away that I found myself at the hospital with my Mom - it was one of those rough times. She was there to have a biopsy on a lymph node suspected to be once again cancerous and I was there to hold her hand. I paced the floor waiting and felt sad that my Dad was not there to hold her hand. He was not there to sit with us while we waited . . . he just wasn’t there. I wasted time by wondering through the gift shop looking at the items set neatly (though compactly) on the shelves. I was only half looking at the merchandise, I was really off in my own little world, wishing, hoping and praying (and I’m not religious) that my Dad could show me a sign that everything would be ok. It was at that moment that I received my wish and there on the shelf in front of me sat a flying pig.

It had long been a running joke between my parents and me that I would get pregnant when pigs flew. Briefly pigs did fly . . . but not for long. Since that time I have looked in vein for any kind of flying pig. So to see it there on the shelf in the hospital gift shop of all places seemed to be a sign of reassurance – a sign that my Dad was still around and thinking of us.

I have seen the pig fly twice more since that day – once at the shop across from a new job and again on Christmas morning as a gift from the love of my life. These pigs seem to be letting me know that I am on the right track and that everything would be alright. There are days when I wonder if I’m just being crazy, who in there right mind looks to a flying pig for guidance . . . it’s at those times that another one flies by. I have learned to just have faith.

Worry looks down
Faith looks up
Love perseveres
And hope floats

Chin up! As my Grandmother used to say (or quote) - “Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you cry alone.”

I hope that some day soon - that is if you don't have one already - that all of you find your flying pig J



FlyingPigs.bmp
The little silver pig is what I found at the hospital
gift shop - the garden ornament was my
Christmas Angel - and the flock of piggy's
is what I found across the street from my new job.

No comments:

Post a Comment