Designed and created by a positive minded, Gluten-free, thyroid cancer survivor!

Wednesday 4 September 2013

Joy!!! In a piece of bread :)

This might sound pretty sad but when you have been eating a gluten free diet for close to a year... biting into a yummy piece of bread that doesn't taste like cardboard with the consistency of cardboard is a pretty awesome thing.
I have bought gluten free bread that isn't so bad, it's just that it costs anywhere from $5 to $10 a loaf! I thought surely I could make it for less. Right? Wrong!
I can bake. I have made great regular bread. When it comes to making a loaf of gluten free bread I have yet to find one that works worth a damn. That is until now.
Today on a whim I found a focaccia bread recipe on Pinterest - actually it was for a focaccia bread pizza. I wasn't interested in the pizza part, I just wanted the bread to go with a pasta dish I had made. I also needed the recipe to be quick... and easy. I didn't think I was going to be in luck as all the recipes I was finding said that the dough had to rise for an hour or so because of the yeast component in the dough.
The recipe I decided on went together in minutes and baked up in 20 minutes - no rising time required. No yeast either. I was a bit skeptical at first but then it came out of the oven all puffed up and golden - and it smelled good too!
Would I do it again - you betcha! I can see that it might make a nice loaf and it would make an amazing pizza crust. For tonight though, it fit the bill as a great accompaniment to our pasta dinner :)
Enjoy!

 Gluten Free Focaccia Bread
  • 4 eggs
  • 4 Tablespoons plain yogurt
  • ¼ cup/ 30g coconut flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8th teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 cup/ 112g grated fontina and parmesan cheese 
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Beat the eggs and yogurt in a bowl until well combined.Combine the coconut flour, baking soda, salt and cheese in medium sized bowl.
  3. Add the beaten eggs and yogurt mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
  4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the mixture in one large or two smaller oval shapes with the back of a spoon or spatula. 
  5. bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly puffed and golden around the edges.
  6. Remove parchment from baking sheet and let cool on wire rack.
  7. Yum. Enjoy.
Here's a link to the original recipe: http://gourmandeinthekitchen.com/2012/tomato-olive-thyme-focaccia-bread-gluten-grain-free/ (and you'll get to see better photos than mine!)

No comments:

Post a Comment