Designed and created by a positive minded, Gluten-free, thyroid cancer survivor!

Friday 7 September 2012

Dear Wal-mart...

Dear Walmart pharmacist,

I know that you must deal with some very difficult people at times. Today... I am not one of those people. I did not call you to get mad and tell you off. I called to find out why my medication was changed, by you and not by my doctor.

You told me that you switched me to a medication that was not any different from the one I was on before - I felt silly for asking you my question. For bothering you with such a silly question. It seemed like a legitimate question to me as I was concerned because my surgeon told me that if I start on this particular medication that I should not be changed to another of its kind. My endocrinologist said the same thing.

When I picked up the medication, as I have before from your location, I did not open the bag because I trusted that it would be the same medication that I had been on so many times before. However it wasn't - you chose to give me something different, because to you it is the same. To you there is no problem and there is no difference.

The problem is... that I do have a problem with your decision to arbitrarily change up my Synthroid to Eltroxin. I have a problem because I have cancer. I have thyroid cancer and while it will be cured I am still scared and I will do whatever I need to do to ensure that that happens. I cling to any sense of normalcy and routine - right down to very small insignificant things, like wanting to stay on the same brand of medication. Maybe it means nothing, maybe I am silly... so be it.

I am mindful that you might have been having a bad day. I ask you to please be mindful that the person you are serving may be having a bad day too and something so small and insignificant to you... might mean the world to them. It could mean, if only for a moment... peace of mind.

Thank you for your time.

Tara Leitch

No comments:

Post a Comment