Designed and created by a positive minded, Gluten-free, thyroid cancer survivor!

Wednesday 25 July 2012

Time on my hands could be time spent...

with you... no, nope - that's not it. Though you can give me a call, I do have Tuesdays free.

Truth be told, come fall I will have an awful lot of time on my hands. So, possibly time to spend with you - or time to accomplish some other necessary things ;)

I am equal parts happy and freaked out about taking this time...

I'm happy to have the time to focus on being healthy and to have treatment for my thyroid cancer.

I am freaked-out for the same reasons that I'm happy...

To have to even consider taking time off to make sure I'm healthy so that I can recover speedily from a cancer treatment is crazy! How did this happen to me? Don't get me wrong, at least they found it... but really? Old people get cancer... am I old? No... but there are days, like when you are told that you have cancer, that you feel a little older... While I do feel a little older, that statement isn't really fair - cancer is not discriminatory about something so silly as age; or gender, or race, or sexual preference... I mean really if it weren't for the fact that just the word cancer causes fear - it would be a really forward thinking, left wing sort of a thing. But it's not.

Something else that cancer is not, is a death sentence.

Cancer comes in all shapes, sizes and types. Not every one is deadly and with all the new treatments and tests out there, there comes new hope everyday.

Hope - that's a big thing right there. Without hope, what point would there be. Hope is part of being positive and staying positive is worth its weight in gold. It's easier said than done, I know that. Even as an eternal optimist, I have my down days. I just make sure that glass of wine is always half full ;)

I am lucky. So far anyways. Thyroid cancer is highly treatable and based on what my surgeon and endocrinologist say, if you are going to get cancer... it's the one you want. :S Heart warming.

Anyways... I will be fine. However, there are many who will not. They are the reason we raise funds, pray and fight for a cure.

So... as I ponder the new found time that I will have on my hands come September... and having to go on EI for the first time ever in my life :S my mind turns to what makes me most happy. For me that's easy... Christmas! There many other things that make me happy, but they go without saying - my friends, family - my best friend and love of my life !!!:) They know who they are and all that goes without saying.

Anywho - In the fall, Christmas will be just a few short months away - and this Christmas will be thrifty. Thriftymas! - new term, I coined it.

Maybe I should just relax and read a book... well I might do that too. I know I will be (and have been) writing one. This is part of me being well - I keep busy and positive all at the same time. I don't plan on doing anything that will be stress or panic inducing... though I have in the past done that to myself by taking on too much. I promise I won't do that. I also promise that I won't be sitting around doing nothing... I'm not built that way. So I will focus on cooking/baking/eating healthy foods, exercise, writing/drawing, reading, and crafts! :) Christmassy ones ;) A thrifty Christmas doesn't have to be a bad one. In fact I hope it will be one of the best ones yet! and possibly the start of a new tradition.

Here are a few links to some of the crafty things I hope to get up to this fall: (I hope you enjoy them and maybe try a few out yourself!! Post pics and let me know about any crafts that you do that are just too wonderful to keep to yourself!)

A reversible bag!
http://verypurpleperson.com/2010/04/making-reversible-bag.html

Cranberry sauce, apple sauce, tomato... yum!

mld105228_1209_apron.jpg
http://www.marthastewart.com/272397/chefs-apron

5150_050410_pants.jpg
http://www.marthastewart.com/268829/drawstring-pants-how-to
http://www.etsy.com/listing/101992034/moccasin-slipper-boots-pdf-sewing

Click to watch the video... crackers are pretty easy though. You just need to save your paper towel or toilet paper rolls, have some wrapping paper or scrapbook papers and embellishments - some dollar store trinkets or goodies for inside - and some snaps. Snaps can be found at Michael's craft stores by early to late fall...

Sooo cute! http://ideasforcards.com/2011/10/30/handmade-xmas-cards-ideas/

So ya... lots to keep me busy, inspired and out of trouble :)

Talk soon!!
T

No comments:

Post a Comment